When you think of NASA, you probably think about spaceships, telescopes and lunar explorations. What you might not understand is that the organization is also a powerhouse when it visits social-media advertising and marketing. An achievement they’ve reached without the benefit of a social-media spending plan.
The agency has almost 500 social-media accounts across numerous social networks that are managed by workers at 10 different field facilities. That’s a lot of tweets and Facebook updates. In April, NASA’s Twitter account– which has some 4.4 million followers– was awarded its 2nd consecutive “Shorty honor” advantageous government use of social media.
I recently talked with John Yembrick, NASA’s head of social media about how the firm handles its award-winning social-media efforts. After all, government firms often be known more for their bureaucracy and red tape than for openness and social adeptness.
Right here’s a look at 3 of the approaches Yembrick shared with me that company owner can put to work for their own social-media advertising projects.
1. Have a popular flagship item? Provide it a voice.
NASA uses social media to tell a tale– the tale of why area exploration is vital to the material of individuals’s lives and NASA’s location in it.
Are you utilizing social networks to tell the story of your company? If you’re not, you’re missing a huge opportunity to link with your consumers.
One way to narrate is by giving your most popular flagship product its own voice. NASA has taken this approach with its Mars Curiosity Rover, offering it a voice with committed Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare accounts. The Rover talks in the first person in a fun and witty tone and has collected millions of fans and followers.
2. Increase engagement with fans over Google+.
Although NASA is on numerous social networks, it focuses a great deal of its effort on Google+. Why? Google+ individuals often be more tech savvy and forward thinking, which aligns well with NASA’s target audience, according to Yembrick. NASA leans on Google+ as an efficient channel to interact and engage with its audience. They likewise utilize Google Hangouts to hold live question and address sessions and educational meet-ups for their fans.
Hangouts can be useful for practically any company since they’re a cost-free and simple means to get in touch with your audience through video. They’re also revealed live on YouTube and get archived so anybody can access them whenever they desire.
Below are a couple of concepts for using Google Hangouts to engage and get in touch with your customers:.
- Hold live Q&A sessions, similar to NASA does. This provides individuals a behind-the-scenes look at your company.
- Demonstrate items. Have a brand-new item coming out? Host a Hangout to present it and show what it’s everything about.
- Provide customer support. Hangouts can be a distinct means to help consumers with any concerns they’re having with your product and services.
3. Create your own truth show.
Individuals love the chance to obtain an unique check out other people’s lives– and businesses. So why not develop your own truth program, of sorts, and invite clients for a behind-the-scenes look at your startup? Advertise the occasions via your social-media networks and you can develop value for your followers, not to discuss the bonus offer of providing individuals another cool reason to follow you.
NASA does this well with its NASA Social program. Fans of NASA’s social-media channels have the chance to go behind-the-scenes at the firm’s facilities and events and talk with astronauts, researchers and engineers. NASA advertises the events exclusively with its social-media accounts and individuals can put on win one of the desired areas. NASA then randomly selects the champions.
This method can be effective for companies for a few reasons:
- It provides engagement with clients and fans. It can get them excited about your business and items whether they win or not.
- It gives your social-media followers a special chance they otherwise wouldn’t get.
- Live events like this enable you to combine similar individuals to link which can mirror well on your brand name.
- Produce a great occasion and your guests are more most likely to end up being raving followers and discuss you within their own social stations.
State you’re a cupcake store and are constructing your following on Facebook. You might run a month-to-month Facebook-only promo where you provide behind-the-scenes trips of your shop. Champions get a trip of the kitchen location where you make the cupcakes then, they get to do a private cupcake tasting.
If you’re looking for imaginative means to make use of social networks to market your business, look no additional than NASA. It’s evidence that you can delight in huge excellence– even on a shoestring budget.
July 31, 2013